Thursday, April 24, 2014

Unwise Bushmiller Purchase

(Click for bigger.)

The drawing shown above is currently available for purchase on eBay. The drawing is signed by Ernie Bushmiller (signature looks real to me). But is the drawing BY Ernie Bushmiller?

What do you think?

My theory is that the drawing was probably sent to Bushmiller with a note saying approximately the following:

Dear Mr. Bushmiller:

I'm a twelve-year-old girl, and I drew the enclosed picture of Nancy! Can I get your autograph?

That's my theory, anyway.

And again, like this Peanuts drawing, I don't think the eBay seller is trying to trick us, as in the Gallery on Baum's notorious attempt; I just don't think they know what they have. So this is another type of non-genuine drawing that isn't necessarily a forgery: the autographed fan drawing. Over the years things like this take on the characteristics of fakes and forgeries through no fault of their own.

There is another possibility, of course: that somebody added the Nancy drawing to a preexisting Bushmiller autograph to make it worth more. Either way, I'm not buying it (literally or figuratively).

Coming in the next day or two: Wise  (very wise!) Bushmiller purchase!

No comments: